We are total rookies at this whole parenting thing. Yesterday I was all worried about the inhaler, but what I should have been worried about that that freaking steriod. I have a whole list of words that aren't blog appropriate for that steriod. That steriod turned my sweet, normal, smiley, sleeping angel into a screaming, not-sleeping, angry little demon. Poor boy had ROID RAGE. No joke.
Last night was miserable. He slept from like 7:30 to 10 and then started waking up every few minutes. I held him for around 11 to midnight while he slept and I played on Facebook. Then the hours of midnight to 3 were the worst. Just constant screaming and thrashing around. I did not recognize my child at all. I almost felt like I needed to turn in my "mommy card" during the middle of the night. I had to keep reminding myself that the screaming little boy that looked like my baby was not really him, but a drug-induced version of himself. All three of us were in tears at some point in the night. Drew was the hero though and took the brunt of the screaming last night as he took Chase upstairs and swaddled him around 3 and let Chase sleep on our guest bed while Drew slept on the floor. I think both got about 4 to 5 hours of sleep that way.
You can tell I was desperate when I called the doctor this morning asking for permission to take him off that medicine. They sympathized, but told us he had to keep taking them. The nurse said she has children with asthma, so she's all too familiar with the change in personality, and that since he's only 7 months old it may be affecting him pretty strongly. She suggested giving it to him earlier in the day, but she said if we took him off of it, we would run the risk of this turning into something more severe. With that, enough was said. I'm sure I'll take the night shift tonight to deal with our little roid monster. I'm totally dreading it! The fact that we have to do this through Friday night is a little too hard to comprehend right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment