Saturday, February 5, 2011

The "Flu"

So Chase got a sudden case of the "flu" on Friday.  I put it in quotes because the actual swab test they took came back negative, but Chase had all other symptoms so they put him on Tamiflu.  So currently, he's finishing a round of antibiotics from last week and on Tamiflu and on fever reducing medicine.  The medicine syringes are in high demand in this house!

I took him to school on Friday and he was in seemingly perfect health.  His nose was a smidge runny, but that was it!  I got a call around 10am that said he had been grumpy with a temperature of 100.2 and that they were going to give him some Tylenol.  I told them to call me back if he didn't feel better. Well, fast forward to about 2:35, they call me and said his fever is now 101, he didn't eat lunch, and he's been lying down this entire time (not like Chase!).  I rush over there to pick him up and take him to the only available appointment at the Drs. office.  When he get there, he is miserable.  He actually lets me cuddle him in my lap!  That is highly unusual!  Once we're in the exam room, Chase's temperature is now 102.8.  He was glassy-eyed, red-cheeked, and very lethargic.  He made me so sad!

The doctor we saw (not our regular doctor, but one we've seen a couple of times before) said it appeared Chase had the flu, or at least some virus similar to it.  Since we've been home and gotten the fever under control and started Tamiflu, Chase has been doing really well.  You would really not know he was sick, except for just occasional spiked temperature, crankiness, and sleepiness.  I'm hoping the fact that he already had the flu vaccine and that we started Tamiflu within 6 hours of his first symptoms has helped!  When I asked about when he would be able to go back to school, he told me he estimated Wednesday or Thursday.  I'm hoping based on how he's responded thus far, that we can get back to normal sooner than that!

I am omitting a certain part of the doctor's visit that I'm not willing to share right now because I'm still a tad bit sensitive to the whole situation (even though logically I know it's not a big deal!) and the way the doctor talked to me about it.  We'll be getting input from our regular doctor soon and then maybe I'll bring it up again.

No comments: