It started last Wednesday. After a fairly successful day cleaning the upstairs, I got a call from the daycare that Chase was fussy, hadn't slept, was losing his appetite, and had a huge projectile vomit. I saw his outfit that they changed after the vomit. I would say that it must have been legendary based on how every square inch of the outfit was covered! Drew picked him up and when he got home Chase seemed fine (I was expecting the worst based on the phone report I got)! Smiling and napped like a champ, but you could tell he didn't feel fantastic. He was very clingy and wanted to be held, which is unlike him. That night after we ran some errands he was very flushed and looked like he had a sunburn. We took his temperature and it was 102.2. I took him to the doctor the next morning (not our regular doctor since he had his day off). They didn't see anything wrong with him. Maybe it was a virus, but since he was able to be comforted by me, we were just going to proceed giving medicine to reduce the fever as needed.
Over the course of the day and this past weekend, his cough got worse and was really causing him distress. It's very similar to his coughs back when he had bronchiolitus. When he coughs, his face gets super red, he seems to have a hard time getting the breath he needs to cough, and if he gets a coughing spell soon after he's eaten, a good majority of his milk will come up with the cough. Thankfully, I've never been the type to get grossed out over vomit, because I've seen lots of it the past few days!
I scheduled another doctors appointment this morning with our regular doctor. He definitely heard some wheezing in his lungs that concerned him. We did a breathing treatment in the office to see how Chase responded. I got scared when he brought out the machine. I'd never seen such a thing since I've never had these type issues as a kid. It wasn't a big deal though. He put a little Albuterol in this machine and then it turned into a vapor that Chase breathed in for the next 5 to 10 minutes. He responded well, so now I am to give Chase an inhaler of this medicine every 4 hours for the next few days to relax the passageways in this lungs and a steroid. I'm a little freaked out about the inhaler. I'm due to give it to him in a little while. Whether or not he goes to daycare any this week depends on how well he takes this medicine. Of course I read all the warning literature they give you at the drugstore and now I have a big long list of things that could go wrong that I'm freaked out about!
I asked the doctor if this wheezing means he might have asthma. He said it's too soon to tell right now. This could just been a one-time episode. I'll keep my fingers crossed I don't have to see this inhaler again!
Here is a picture of him yesterday eating some squash. I discontinued all solid foods on Thursday so we could focus on getting as much milk in him as possible since it was more important. But he was hungry yesterday so I thought I would try some food out again. Poor thing. You can tell he doesn't feel right.
In the middle of a cough. :(
This is a picture from this morning right before his nap. His poor little red cheeks!!
Needless to say, illness is the hardest part of being a parent that I've come across. Even if it is something minor, I just hate seeing him sick. He can't communicate what he's feeling and I can't tell him everything is going to be ok. It just sucks. Plus, it's very difficult to entertain a child that doesn't feel well. It's been a long weekend! Hopefully now that we have some medicine, we're going to get back to normal!
No comments:
Post a Comment