Tuesday, May 18, 2010

33 weeks

Gosh.  33 weeks.

What have we learned this week?

Well, Chase had rediscovered his tongue.  He first discovered it shortly after his tongue was clipped when he was 5 days old (he was born tongue-tied - which sounds worse than it really is).  Since then he almost always had his tongue on the roof of his mouth.  This week we've seen him chomping on his tongue (it looks like he's chewing on gum).  And we've seen him rolling his tongue like a little burrito and just slightly sticking it out of his mouth and getting a cute little "o" shape to his mouth.  It's hilarious to watch him make these faces.

We've learned that Chase has the ability to stand on his own for brief (very brief) periods of time.  I've been testing this out and letting him hold on to the side of his exersaucer, coffee table, etc and just let him go (spotted of course!).  He can stand there pretty well when he's gripping onto something for balance.  Ultimately, he then starts to lean sideways and then you need to scoop him up and try again!  He has so much fun doing this though.  He just grins all the way through it.  Even if we let him gently fall on his bottom, he just grins!

We've learned that even though he likes bananas, he doesn't really like them.  I think the texture is a bit much for him.  Over the weekend, we gave him bananas for dessert and I think the last bite I gave him was just a little too much.  He started gagging and spit up a little of the banana.  Then a few seconds later, round 2 of the spit up.  Oh.My.Goodness!  It was like something from the Exorcist.  Banana and Sweet Potatoes.  All over the place.  I can still see it vividly!! Yuck!  Chase just smiled afterwards.  He acted like nothing had happened.  So long story short, I learned I won't be trying anymore bananas with him for a little while longer.

We learned today that Chase will be going to daycare part time this summer.  The original plan was that we would take him out over the summer when Drew was out of school.  Then the more we thought about it, we thought it would be nice if he could keep the routine and he could continue to see his sweet teachers over the summer.  Plus that would give Drew time to get some stuff done over the summer (mow the grass, clean, exercise, school work, clean...hint, hint).  The daycare really doesn't do part-time, but we asked them about it anyway and they checked their schedules and there was room for him!!  I'm very glad that we had that option.  I can't say enough how much I love our daycare.  I'm very glad we stumbled across that place in our search.

What else is going on?  He's still trying to crawl, but he still rolls over instead of moving anywhere.  We're nowhere near hearing any words from him.  We were saying "la tortuga" to him today (it's on his activity mat) and it sounded like he was saying "la" back to us, but I think that was just in our minds.

I've been trying to push his bedtime back slowly over the past few weeks.  We are having photos taken of Chase at a nearby park on June 1st at 7pm.  His bedtime is normally 7:30 or so, so I'm very nervous about this.  Most of this past week he's gone to bed after 8, but he can have some serious cranky episodes if we push him too far.  I'm really looking forward to the photos, but I'm dreading his possible mood!!  I just hope I can get him to nap a ton that day!

On to the pictures -


Sweet smile.  Showing his awesome tongue in the second one! :)

No comments: