Sunday, February 19, 2012

38/39 weeks

This may be the last weekly update as we are now all fully on Baby Watch!  Bags are packed, plans have been made for what will happen in scenarios A, B, and C, and in general I'm as ready as I'm going to be to welcome another little baby into our house (as ready as you can be for all the fun of post-partum pains and no sleep and learning to nurse all over again!)


I can't tell if it's the angle of the pictures or not, but Cooper sure looks like he dropped a ton since last week.  I wouldn't be surprised, because he sure felt like he dropped a lot!  Moving around has gotten a lot harder and getting dressed and trying to balance on one leg while putting pants on is one of the hardest obstacles I have all day.

At my 38 week doctor visit, my regular doctor was on vacation so I visited instead with their nurse practitioner.  It was also my lucky day because she had a nursing student following her around that day, so I had an extra participant in my weekly visit.  The nursing student measured my belly (I was measuring at 39 weeks) and she listened to the baby's heartbeat.  It took her about 5 minutes to find it though!  Then came the cervical check and I was just praying the nursing student wasn't going to be doing that part!  I know that having that whole area manhandled too much might bring on labor and at that time I was NOT ready to go to the hospital!  Thankfully the nurse practitioner did it and I wasn't progressed enough to let the student get an opportunity to use me as one of her tutorials!  I would have died!  The nurse said I was close to 3cm dilated and 70% effaced.  At my 39 week appointment with my regular doctor, she said I was between 2 and 3cm dilated and 50% effaced.  That shows how judgmental some of these measurements are.  So basically no progression from 38 to 39 weeks.

I've now gained close to 50 pounds this pregnancy, which is 10 more than last time.  I feel and look as if I've gained about 80 though.  I've now got an extra chin, new tiger stripes all over my belly and hips (I get stretch marks very easily anyways!), and feet so swollen that they are tender to the touch.  Just for "fun", I measured around the widest part of my belly and it measured 50"!!  It'll be funny to compare that to what I am when I come back from the hospital!

Of course as soon as we are getting extremely close to the due date, all the boys in the house ended up getting sick!  Drew started out with a virus that gave him a sore throat and that eventually turned into a gross cold.  Chase got sick last weekend and ended up going to the doctor on Tuesday because of a gross cough and a very runny nose.  Chase was on antibiotics (for like only the second time in a year - one benefit of the ear tube surgery!) for 5 days, but the runny nose still hasn't gone away.  I'm hoping he gets better soon because I would hate to have to keep Cooper and Chase away from each other the first couple of days!

Also, I don't know if you can tell in the picture above, but I did something very controversial (or at least to my mother!) on Saturday.  I colored my hair for the first time ever!  The gray hairs were just getting to be too much for me and since I'm going to lose all my hair in 3 months anyways (the post-partum "shedding" hit me big time after Chase was born), I figure I should at least like my hair these last new months that I have some and I don't want to look back at Cooper's newborn pictures and just see the wirey, little gray hairs all over my head!

Here's a picture of me with Chase at 38 weeks.  And not the last time that Chase will probably "sit" on his brother!

No comments: